Pages

Monday, June 1, 2015

DIY Montessori Folding Cloths

As a Montessori newbie, I recently discovered their folding cloths and had to have some! I couldn't bring myself to spend the money, so here's how I made my own (for free):
 
 
Materials used: 
Some red cloth napkins that my Mom no longer wanted
A painter's pen 
 
 
First, my daughter traces the line indicators with her pointer and middle finger; then she makes the fold.


The lines are used as control of error. If she does this correctly, the lines will be along the fold.
(I love how Montessori materials allow the child to work independently.)

At 26 months, she can independently work on squares ... the other folds I'm helping her with.

When she first showed interest in folding a few months ago, and before I knew about the Montessori method, I bought her some Dollar Store washcloths. She still enjoys these; in fact, she got these off her shelf in her bedroom for us to work on last night:)

(these pictures taken before her 2nd birthday)

I like how the Montessori inspired cloths help to teach her control of movement and different variations in folding. This is all helping to prep for her recent interest in helping with the laundry.

So sweet:)
 
 
I had four cloths left over that I didn't mark on. I paired them with some napkin rings for an activity that my 4 yo really enjoys:
 
 
Simply rolling napkins and using napkin rings.

 
Yet, this is just enough of a challenge for him.

 
And he really enjoys it!

 
This is teaching him practical life skills (he plans to do the napkin preparation for Thanksgiving next year.) It also develops his fine motor muscles and concentration.

What do you think?
Do you have any other ideas for these?

No comments:

Post a Comment